Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 13 - The City is Buzzing

Friday, December 31, 2010

This is our first day of our 10 day waiting period. We visited Andrei in the morning today. We had a fun visit. He is learning how to rough play thanks to dad. : )

This picture show his, “I can do it myself” look.

Followed by, “I told you I could!”

After our visit, we spent the rest of the day with another Texan family. We had a great time eating together walking around the market, and going to a café shop. We also went to a candy shop that was amazing. It had all kinds of cookies, pastries, and lots of chocolates. Ukraine is not the place to come if you want to lose weight. The sweets are amazing!

The streets were packed with shoppers today, because it is New Year’s Eve. This is celebrated like our Christmas. Christmas trees, Santa hats, fireworks, and lot of bunnies (it’s the year of the bunny) were being sold. To be expected, the trees were lit with Christmas lights in front of buildings throughout the city. Fireworks are part of many of the celebrations throughout the year, and tonight we should be able to see lots of them. We went to bed at 11:00 PM, but woke up at 12:00 with hundreds of fireworks going off at the same time.  It was like 4th of July within a 5 minute span.  

Andrei had on his New Year hat today. So cute! Happy New Year from Ukraine! We have so much to be thankful for! We send lots of love to our daughter and family back home.  We miss you all!


There was one thing on the streets today that I found to be odd. It was not the fish being sold on the street, or people carrying Christmas trees under their arms, or people buying single branches of the trees (not sure why), or the pig heads in the market, or the dog with the largest tumor I have ever seen (sad), or the eggs I bought that were covered with poop, or even the bear that was in the market the other day…no… all those things seem normal now. Today I saw this…a lion in a van!!!

I spent most of the night doing laundry by hand.  I miss my washing machine and dryer!  I leave you  with this picture.  It is a pair of jeans standing by themselves.  They are frozen!  I miss the US and the comforts that seem so common.  Tonight, we give thanks for our wonderful family and friends back home and for all the little things that are part of our day to day life in the US that make life comfortable.   We are truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment